Call for Application: 2ND GHANA YOUTH CONFERENCE ON CLIMATE CHANGE AND SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT (GYCCC-SD)
The United Nations and its member states reached two historic milestones in 2015. In September in New York, 193 world leaders adopted the “2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development” and its 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which aim at mobilizing global efforts to end poverty, protect the planet, and ensure prosperity for all by 2030. In December in Paris, 196 countries adopted a historic agreement to combat climate change and unleash actions and investments towards a low-carbon, resilient, and sustainable future, with the aim of holding the increase in the global average temperature to well below 2 °C above pre-industrial levels.
Ghana is currently undertaking a process to internalize these global agendas and plan for their implementation at the national level. Achieving these goals will require the active participation of young people, not only because they will inherit the responsibility of taking care of the earth, but also because their future will be affected by decisions taken by leaders today.
In response to this, the Greener Impact International (GII), in collaboration with the National Youth Authority (NYA), the Ministry of Environment, Science, Technology and Innovation (MESTI) and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), is organizing a 3-day conference to bring together 200 young people from across the country to learn about the Paris Agreement and the Sustainable Development Agenda, and reflect on how they can actively contribute to their successful implementation in Ghana.
The conference will include panel discussions, interactive sessions and a field trip.
Date: 22nd -24th August 2017
Venue: British Council – Accra
Special Guests (Expected):
- His Excellency John Agyekum Kufuor (UN Special Envoy for Climate Change)
- His Excellency John Dramani Mahama (Former UN Envoy on the SDGs)
- Christine Evans-Klock (UN Residence Coordinator in Ghana)
- Kwabena Frimpong Boateng (Hon. Minister –MESTI)
Call for Application
The call for application to participate in this conference is officially opened. Participation is entirely FREE and the package includes:
- Food and drinks
- Conference T-shirt
- Conference materials
- Certificate of participation
- Field Trip
The participation to the conference is opened to:
- Ghanaian nationals aged between 18 and 30 years old, and belong to the group of young people who are resolute to play a decisive role in shaping the future of their country.
- Young people who are passionate, dedicated and actively working/studying in the area of climate change, promoting environmental justice, sustainable land management, natural resource management, and biodiversity conservation via different social channels.
- Students, bloggers, YouTubers, journalists, young leaders, artists, celebrities, or young people who are active in social movements, community organizations, and are currently active promoting at least one of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
- Young people or young activists who have been directly contributing to environmental initiatives and have inspired others to do the same through social media platforms.
- Deadline for applications: 25th July 2017
- Announcement of selected candidates: 1st August 2017
- Arrival at the conference : 21st August 2017
- Conference dates: 22nd – 24th August 2017
- Departure: 25th August 2017
Information and contacts
kindly visit the conference website www.ycccsd.org for more information
Workshop on the Use of PACE resource PackageMay 14th, 2017
The Launch of Greener Impact Club in St John Preparatory SchoolMarch 13th, 2017